Sunday, December 13, 2009

Getting Closer!!

When you set your mind to something you have never done before.. it is always.. a little bit exciting, scary and challenging.. and in the end you know it will be self rewarding to accomplish something you never thought you would ever do!

So when my good friend Shelley asked if I wanted to run a half Marathon with her and a few other girlfriends at first I thought... Heck ya!! I soo want to do this! I had watched my friend train for her half earlier in the beginning of the year.. watched her train for triathlon also.. I could set my mind to it and do it! I wanted the challenge.. for many many different reasons! I said YES.. I am in!

I never have been a runner , I have really enjoyed working out at the gym and cycling, doing other things.. but running!! NO WAY! So silly.. crazy.. mmmm.. yah.. I thought for sure.. I was not announcing this to anyone.. at least until I knew I could do it! And who knew how long that would take me to find out!

The first day of training came and I hopped on the treadmil.. okay I will just run a mile and see how far I can go!! Lol!! Wow.. was I in for a laugh.. What the heck.. I had no clue how hard this was going to be for me! I had to run how many miles!! wow! I was not backing down... I was going to reach my goal!! So I continued on.. I have a long way to go and only 36 more days to do it in! I have felt body parts , muscles etc that I had no clue that I never had!!

This morning my friend Teresa and I woke up early (and you know I am not a early morning gal) we hit the trail at 27 degrees!! Beanies, gloves and ready to run 8 miles!! The ice, and cold weather made our bodies a little slower than normal.. but finishing 8 miles today made me realize one thing..... You can do anything you can set your mind too! And I am actually loving running at this point! I am excited to do my 10 mile run next week! Not scared.. .just excited.. because I am accomplishing something I never thought I would and it feels great! My mind and my body feel so much better! I know through all of this, that I will continue to run! And I have loved training with my friends! Thank you to all of them for the great support!! only 5 miles to go ladies!!!

I have to say one of my favorite parts about today was looking over at Teresa my friend while running, the bottom tips of her hair where frozen!! Like iciscles!! Crazy.. I laughed and told her, she smiled back at me and said.. your braids are frozen too!!! Not the best run today, bodies super cold and harsh weather, but great company and that much closer to accomplishing a goal! And that feels great!!

5 comments:

Janae' said...

you go girl! I love you so much!

Emu Monkey said...

Way to go. Maybe someday I will have your gusto! Good luck in the race.

Teresa said...

You know I would do it all over again with ya! Even in the cold and with the ankle that made me SOOO MAD!! Oh well, eight is still done regardless! I can't wait to do this with all of my good friends and can't wait to celbrate afterwards at Chick-fil-a!!! Ten is nothing...I know we can do it!!

Spitzer said...

ok i am finally back to checkin the blogs...great post...and you did SO AWESOME! way to accomplish your goal and stick with the challenge...isn't the human spirit AMAZING!

jordi piƱeira said...

amazing